Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Wine Discount Center

Though probably no secret to most wine drinkers in Chicago, Wine Discount Center recently popped up on my radar. After a Groupon deal for $30 worth of wine for $15, I was alerted to a Highland Park location that I had no idea existed. I had been visiting the Buffalo Grove location way back when it was still there, but after it closed up shop, Wine Discount Center was out of sight and out of mind. I have been attending tastings when I get a chance and have been pleased with what I've been finding there. In addition to random findings, I came across a bottle of '09 Marcel Lapierre Morgon a couple weeks ago. After my experimenting with Beaujolais I knew this particular vintage and producer were getting some serious attention. I took a bottle home for the holidays and it was every bit the joy it was hyped to be. I've found a few other nice bottles there aw well including an '08 Alta Maria Chardonnay, and a soon to be purchased '09 St. Urbans-Hof Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Spatlese.

Anyway, wine recommendations aside, the store always comes in on the cheap side. There are no case discounts, the theory being that the discount is already built into the price. I'm not sure I find it to be 10% cheaper than elsewhere, but I never feel as if I'm being taken for a ride. I highly recommend that if you haven't been, you go check them out. They have locations in Highland Park, Chicago, Barrington and Forrest Park. The staff seems very knowledgable, and always willing to help me hunt for something. Plus they seem to know every wine they have in the store, which is always a plus when you are looking for something new.

No comments: