Monday, November 5, 2007

Here come the Holidays

Well, love it or hate it, its Christmas time again. Here in Chicago we are getting our first real taste of winter today. Temps will drop into the 30's tonight, and by tomorrow we have an overnight low of 26. My wife makes the arrival of the holidays official by tuning her radio to 93.9's all Christmas music, all the time, playlist that began just this week.

In the wine world we know the holidays are just around the corner because all the wine shops are hosting their annual holiday, Thanksgiving, or Christmas wine tastings. Keep an eye on the calendar, as I'll be posting several of those tastings up there.

One of my favorite things about the Holidays is how closely linked they are with wine. Despite its inability to pair well with any wine, Thanksgiving is the ultimate wine meal, Christmas Dinner just begs for a good red Bordeaux, and despite my dislike of sparkling wines, I don't think it should be legal to pass on a glass of bubbly at New Year's. There is no getting around it, this is the season of wine.

For me, this is a time for family. I think it is safe to say that my favorite thing in the world is to sit around a table eating with family. I don't think it is possible to derive greater pleasure from any activity on earth. Well, okay, it is possible, but only by putting a few bottles of wine on the table. I'm already looking forward to those meals. I'm picking out the wines to bring home, and dreaming of all the good food and company to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael

I think that a cool-climate CA Pinot noir done in the new riper, bigger style can go very well with turkey and stuffing!

Don't forget to get Some Elyssium from Quady Winery. I remember what Chicago winters are like and I think that is a very nice sipper on a cold wineter evening!

Anonymous said...

My favorite part about the holidays and wine that my husband is referring to is the multiple bottle dinners. Now don't get this wrong, I am not referring to the fact that my husband's family are big drinkers... I am referring to the fun of sitting around a dinner table sharing good food and good wine. Once the food is all eaten, the dinner doesn't end there, everyone stays for the next bottle of wine. It is a chance to sit and share stories about life with those you care about.