Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Highlighting Some Upcomming Events

I wanted to highlight a couple of interesting wine events in the city that are coming up in the next few weeks.

Lions...Tigers...and Wines, Oh My!: Tomorrow! This is a shameful admission, but despite having lived in Chicago for almost 4 years now, I've never been to the Lincoln Park Zoo. If I wasn't predisposed tomorrow night I would absolutely be taking a train ride into the city. This one just strikes me as fun. Apparently 15 New Zealand Winegrowers (I don't know if that means vineyard owners, winemakers, or winery reps) will be pouring at the zoo tomorrow. Certainly brings new meaning to having a little barnyard in your Pinot Noir. Details here: http://www.lpzoo.org/events/wine.html

Windy City Wine Festival: on September 7th-8th Binny's is hosting the Windy City Wine Festival. This takes place at Grant Park. The event seems like a well organized deal, though I've never been. It looks like there is a large contingent of vendors that attend. No doubt if you are in the city that weekend this would be a good one to check out. I don't really get the pricing structure though. $25 for 6 tastes. Those better be big tastes. I don't really think this event is for the serious drinker. Vendors seem to be the bigger "value" brands, and I doubt anyone is pouring Silver Oak or Mouton-Rothschild at this one. Even with the likely lack of heavy hitters, its hard to pass on wine beneath the Chicago skyline on a late summer afternoon in Grant Park. Details Here: http://www.windycitywinefestival.com/

No comments: