Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Champagne for the Holidays

I can't stand Champagne. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I know that from the moment I lift it to my nose until the last drop is washed down by something, anything, that cleanses the palate, I'm disgusted.

I drink the stuff roughly twice a year. Once at New Year's, once for my Anniversary, and as a courtesy at weddings. I've had everything from mainstream bottlings of Napa stuff, to this so-called renaissance growers Champagne. Never have I liked it, not even in the slightest.

Every year at New Year's my optimism is renewed and I go out and drop a good chunk of change on a nice bottle of whatever the wine guy tells me is both good and unique. I hurry home and chill it down nice and cold. Then Midnight rolls around and I'm once again riddled with disappointment.

My only respite in the sparkling wine department is a small contingent of wines that fall under the contingent of cheap Asti. Martini & Rossi and Tosti make a sweet sparkler. They are in my opinion the only stomachable sparklers out there. However, these are not what any self respecting Champagne drinker would be caught dead with. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to endure being the butt of a few jokes.

I'm writing about this because Champagne tastings have overtaken Chicago. Every liquor store is having a Champagne tasting this month. If you love Champagne, well lucky you. It might be possible to attend a Champagne tasting every day for the next 30 days. For me though, I'm stuck waiting for january to bring a return to normal for all the wine shops in town.

No comments: